We are looking to expand our team of Editors, both Development (Story) and Line Editors. Our current pay rate is a royalty of 5-10% of all revenue for that work.
For shorter works, fewer than 50,000 words, we assign one editor who does both the Development and Line editing, usually at the rate of 10%.
Novels, works of 50,000 words or more, require two editors. First, the work goes to a Development Editor, who focuses on the large issues such as story structure, character development, overall continuity, and setting. Then a Line Editor takes over, looking at the work line-by-line, focusing on paragraph/sentence structure, word choice, continuity, and grammar. In the case of novels, the royalties are split between the Development and Line Editors, at 5% each. Since novels sell at a higher rate than shorter works, this usually means that the split royalties does not significantly lower the overall compensation for any single editor.
If you would like to apply to work with Enspire Publishing, read the following:
Thank you for your interest in working with Enspire Publishing. Please take some time to read through material posted on the site(s) so far.
This will give you some ideas of what we are looking for in editors:
Before applying, you should know that we have some important requirements. If you fit the following requirements and want to work with us, fill out the application below and send it back to us.
- You must be at least age 18 or over. For legal reasons, this is not negotiable.
- Given the focus of some of our imprints (especially ForbiddenFiction.com), you must let us know if you are willing to handle explicit sexual material, a variety of kinks, violence, and sometimes disturbing themes. It will be best if you let us know your limits— particularly which type of material you will not be able to work with.
- You must understand and be able to communicate the needs of story structure, plot arcs, character development, etc. You will need to be able to see the changes needed in a story, and communicate those effectively to the author.
- You must be able to be online regularly, and communicate clearly and often with the managing editor about the progress of the work, and commit to completion of the projects by agreed upon dates.
- You must have solid knowledge of appropriate grammar, spelling and punctuation, especially as it applies to fiction.
- You will need to be willing to sign a non-disclosure contract agreeing that you will not copy, share or divulge, in part or in full, the works in your care.
- You will need to have Microsoft Word and be willing and able to use the Track Changes feature when editing and commenting on documents.
- You will need to agree to our Terms and Conditions.
- You will need to read and use our Manuscript Style Guide.
- You will need to read and agree with our Mission Statement and Values.
- You will need to create and maintain a profile on our sites.
- Be willing to train with a supervisor to learn EP’s methods of editing.
To understand how we work, read: Understanding the Publishing Process – An Enspire Guide for Authors.
If this works for you, please fill out the following application and send it via email, along with a relevant resume to email@example.com. We look forward to working with you.
D.M. Atkins, Publisher
Copy and include in your email:
APPLICATION FOR ENSPIRE PUBLISHING EDITOR:
In applying for this position I confirm that I have read the Mission Statement and the Writer’s FAQ published on EnspirePublishing.com and agree to work within the publishing model presented. I am at least age 18 or older, and am both willing and able to sign a contract for said work under my legal name. I agree that communication between EnspirePublishing.com and myself is confidential and not to be shared with others without consent of both parties.
Your Legal Name:
Your Pen Name (name you will want to be credited in publications):
If you know us from somewhere else, such as online fandom or real life, please let us know what name we would recognize (multiples are okay, if you want to mention more than one):
Your mailing address:
Do you have Google or another chat program where we can discuss the project? If so, please provide information.
Are you primarily a Line Editor (wording, sentence structure) and/or a Development Editor (story structure, character development)?
Which length stories are you willing to work on? Which are you better at? (Short Stories, Novellas, Novels)
Have you done editing or proofreading (Beta, in fan parlance) before? What have you worked on?
What areas are your strengths?
What areas are you weakest?
How many chapters/words do you realistically think you could work a week?
Can you complete an entire novel (50,000 to 150,000 words) per project? How long would that take?
Are there certain types of content you will not work on? (Including things like content, warnings, gender pairings.)
Which types of stories are you most interested in working on?
Please provide examples.
Which publishers and/or independent authors have you worked with? Do you currently work with them?
Which of our imprints do you feel you have the skill to work on?
Which genres are you most interested in?
Which genres do you do feel suited to work in?
What drew you to applying to EnspirePublishing.com?
[This post last revised 3/9/2018.]